At Castle van hire we take data privacy seriously and will only use your information in accordance with the policy below. This means we will adhere to the relevant legislations whilst doing our best to provide you with the best level of service and security. This policy sets out how and why we store, process and delete your data and gives you information on how to contact us to view, correct or delete that data.
Last revised: February 2019
- Castle Van Hire Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales having a registered office at 15 Regency Drive, Coventry, CV3 6QA (company number 09146584);
Lawfulness of our Processing
It is lawful for us to process personal information about you in different circumstances, as follows:
- Where we process personal information about you in order to fulfil any order you place with us or otherwise to perform our contract with you;
- For any purpose that you have consented to, where we have asked for your consent in the box that pops up when you first visit our Site and/or as part of the ordering process;
- Where we are required to do so to comply with our legal obligations; and
- Where we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information. We have a legitimate interest where we may wish to contact you about products or services, market to you, or collaborate with others to improve our services.
What personal information do we collect and how is it used
The personal information we collect and hold about you includes:
- Name, address, telephone number (including mobile phone) and email;
- The information included in any documents you send to us (such as your driving licence and passport), or when using our Site (including via your customer portal, if you use one), including to search for hire vehicles, place orders or report problems with the Site or an order;
- Information you complete in relation to customer satisfaction surveys;
- Your occupation or the nature of your business (if applicable);
- details about the vehicle to be hired or purchased;
- Information obtained by credit reference agencies (further information is set out below);
- details about your marketing preferences and interests;
- Debit or credit card details or the bank account details from which direct debits under your vehicle hire will be collected;
- Information which we collect about you when you visit our Site:
• technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- Allowing you to register to use our Site, fulfilling our contractual obligations to you (or enforcing our contract terms against you) and providing you with the services you require;
- To customise the Site according to your interests;
- To respond to any requests for advice or information and otherwise provide customer support to you;
- Assessing and evaluating the quality of the vehicle hire or other services we have supplied (including the use of mystery shoppers and satisfaction surveys), complying with legal and regulatory obligations and best practice standards (including carrying out credit reference checks and taking steps to comply with our obligations under anti money laundering regulations);
- Fulfilling the requirements of our insurance policies (including the requirements of our insurance providers);
- To keep our site safe and secure;
- In case we have any queries concerning any aspect of your use of our Site;
- To ensure that content from our Site is presented in the most effective manner for your device;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Site when you choose to do so;
- To administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing and research; and
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others.
You have the right to ask us to restrict processing of your personal data and a right to object to our processing of your personal data in this way. If you exercise either of these rights, you may not be able to make full use of our Site and/or we may not be able to provide you with information that you have requested us to provide to you.
We will take a copy of your driving licence if you are the person hiring a vehicle from us (either in your own right or on behalf of an organisation) when the vehicle hire commences. We will also need a copy of the driving licence of all other named drivers. We retain a copy of the driving licence for some of the purposes set out above.
We may also use your personal information to contact you by e-mail, telephone, post, SMS and other electronic means (including social media), with information about services (including improvements we have made to our services), industry news, industry relevant legislation changes, promotions and offers that may be of interest to you. We may use your personal information in order to establish the services, promotions and offers that are likely to be of interest to you. We will do this marketing in accordance with any preferences you have indicated to us.
Where will your personal information be processed?
We have in place appropriate technical and security measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful access to or use of, or accidental loss of or destruction or damage to your information. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data including by taking the security measures we are required to by Data Protection Legislation, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Site. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission;
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe; and
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield, which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US.
We may also share your personal information with:
- Our insurers to comply with our insurance obligations;
- Professional advisors and debt collection agencies to assist with the recovery of amounts owed to us by you or the organisation you represent under any agreement between you and us;
- Credit reference agencies (for further information see the Credit Reference Check Policy below).
- As stated above, we may commercially exploit any anonymised or aggregated information on the basis that no individuals are identified or identifiable.
Vehicle tracking information
We may install devices in your vehicles, which track the whereabouts of the vehicle and provide other information about the vehicle (including for example the way it is driven). These devices are supplied directly by a third party. If you are unclear as to the basis on which tracking devices are supplied please contact us using the details below or contact the relevant account customer.
We may disclose tracking information collected by these devices to our group companies, the relevant hire or fleet management customer and to law enforcement agencies, regulatory bodies and other third parties.
Third Party Tracking Devices
Third Party Tracking Devices are installed on all our vehicles. Our use of the information collected by the Third Party Tracking Devices is on behalf of the customer. This may include, for example, mileage and location information and other information about the vehicle (including the way it is driven). The provider of the Third Party Tracking Devices will disclose tracking information collected by these devices directly to Castle Van Hire. We will use this tracking information for our own purposes and for the benefit of the customer. For further detail about how this information will be used please, contact the relevant account customer directly.
Third party websites
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms on which we may participate on are subject to the terms, conditions and privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively. We will never ask for personal information through social media platforms and we encourage users wishing to discuss sensitive details to contact us through primary communication channels such as by telephone or email. Our site may use social sharing buttons, which help share web content directly from web pages to the social media platform in question. You are advised before using such social sharing buttons that you do so at your own discretion and note that the social media platform may track and/or save your request to share a web page through your social media platform account.
Rights in relation to personal information
You have the following rights in respect of your personal information:
- a right to request from us access to your personal data;
- a right to request rectification of your personal data;
- a right to request erasure of your personal data;
- a right to ask us to restrict processing of your personal data and a right to object to our processing of your personal data (but if you do either of these, it may impact on your use of our Site and/or we may not be able to provide you with information that you have requested us to provide to you);
- a right to ask us for a copy of any personal data you have provided about yourself and to have a copy of it transferred from us to another data controller (which may be subject to a £10 charge) in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you. You can ask us to transfer this personal data directly to another controller, where technically feasible; and
If you want to exercise any of the above rights, you should contact us at email@example.com using the contact details in the Introduction section above.
How long we keep personal information
If you agree to be added to our mailing list, we will keep your personal information for that purpose unless and until you tell us that you want to unsubscribe or be removed from the list. If you advise that you do not want to be added to our mailing list or you ask to be removed, we will delete your personal data (aside from keeping a record that you have asked us not to send you marketing information).
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular website. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our site in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of our site.
Credit reference check policy
This policy applies if you are hiring a vehicle under an established account or an account is being set up in order to permit you to hire vehicles and in each case if you are not paying in advance for the vehicle hire. In this section “Customer” means the business hiring a vehicle from us or you, if you are hiring the vehicle for yourself.
How we will use your information?
We will search credit reference agencies for information on Customers which may include carrying out a search on you personally. In so doing we will provide current and previous names, addresses and dates of birth, of all relevant parties, so if you are providing information about third parties, you must be sure that you have the agreement of those third parties. If false or inaccurate information is given and we identify fraud, details may be passed to credit reference and fraud prevention agencies.
We will use the information provided to us by credit reference agencies to help make decisions about whether to open an account, to verify identity, for the prevention and detection of fraud and/or money laundering, and to manage accounts (including for debt recovery and cash collection purposes). We may use scoring methods to do this.
When credit reference agencies receive a search from us they will place a search “footprint” on the credit file of the Customer whether or not we decide to open an account. This “footprint” may be seen by other organisations when the Customer applies for credit in the future and may affect the Customer’s ability to obtain credit elsewhere in the near future.
Credit reference agencies will supply us with public information such as County Court Judgements (CCJs) and bankruptcies, electoral register information and fraud prevention information on applicants’ (and their known financial associates), current and previous names, addresses and dates of birth.
If the Customer is making a joint application now or has ever:-
- Applied for credit with someone else;
- Held joint account(s);
- Been financially linked to someone else,
We will check relevant financial associates’ personal accounts as well.
Links between financial associates will remain on your file and the file of your financial associates until such time as you or the relevant financial associate files for a disassociation with the credit reference agencies.
How data will be used by credit reference agencies?
- The information, which we and other organisations provide to the credit reference agencies about the Customer, or any person financially linked to the Customer, may be supplied by credit reference agencies to other organisations and used by them to:
- Prevent crime, fraud and money laundering, for example by checking details provided on applications for credit and credit related or other facilities;
- Check the operation of credit and credit-related accounts;
- Verify the identity of the Customer, or any person financially linked to the Customer when applying for other facilities;
- Make decisions on credit and credit related services about the Customer, or any person financially linked to the Customer;
- Manage the account or credit facility of the Customer, or any person financially linked to the Customer;
- Trace whereabouts and recover debts that the Customer owes; and
- Undertake statistical analysis and system testing.
LONG TERM RENTALS AVAILABLE!
Call today and find out our flexible long term rental options